Tuesday, August 23, 2011

mistah richter.

A very somber video to watch before reading this very serious blog entry:


As I'm sure you've all heard, the earth did a little bit of quaking this afternoon and, yes, we did feel some of its ripples all the way over here in Boston. Before sharing a truly devastating photo taken after today's events, though, please let me inform you of my own three-second progression through traumatic, initial reactions as I worked on the tenth floor of my internship building:

1. I thought I was, myself, tremoring from my arm exercises at the gym yesterday. Convinced that it was going to fall off, I resolved that I'd never go to the gym again.
2. After dismissing this silly notion -- and noting that if my theory were correct, my entire body was about to combust from working out -- I thought it may be an earthquake but quickly decided it had to be a train passing underground. (Back to the gym, I suppose.)
3. Then after remembering that I was, in fact, on the tenth floor and not the main floor, I realized something had gone awry because I shouldn't be able to feel a train way up here unless it, like, exploded.
4. Like gophers, heads started popping up over cubicles all around the office in a chorus of, "Did you feel that??"
5. Then it was over and that's all I have to say. OHMYGAH wasn't that so dramatic?!?!

I must admit the best part was when Catherine, who lives in Florida, texted me to see if I'd felt the quake. I promptly freaked out thinking that the entire east coast was about to fall into the ocean if everyone from way up here to way down there had felt it. She then informed me that she'd merely heard about but had felt nothing. I'm an idiot.

And now, the most scary thing you've seen since the last time you dropped your phone into that scary space between your seat and console in your car and removed something that was totally not your phone and was probably living at some point....drum roll please....

After the earthquake (from grist.com)

say cheese,
katy c.

PS -- I hope I didn't make too much light of this situation. I really am so glad that everyone up and down the coast is okay! I just thought it fun to be able to share "my side of the horror" when there really was little horror at all...at least on my part! What was your experience?? :)

1 comment:

Mitchell said...

I like the way you wrote this one. And I'm glad I could help you out with that devastation photo (of which you didn't give me any credit - sheesh!).

But for more serious nature, don't forget to relieve the Mayy 2008 China Quake
http://mitchellmercer.blogspot.com/2008_05_01_archive.html