Monday, December 6, 2010

it's kinda like a drive-thru, but opposite...

My groceries were delivered to my front door at 6 a.m. this morning! So cool, right?

I've got a pretty hectic week ahead (and, let's be honest with ourselves, it's brrrrr-tastic cold outside) so I was struggling to figure out a time when I could grocery shop...in the daylight (remember, safety + not freezing to death are at the tip-top of my priority list). Instead of refiguring my whole calendar, I just pulled up my internet Safari, went to peapod.com, and made my grocery list there! It was awesome!

There's a $6 flat-rate delivery charge, plus tip, so it's not much more than I'd usually spend. Granted, I'd love to have kept that cash...but I would have spent more eating out this week had I not done it the Peapod way, so it all works out! The produce is fresh and they have both name-brand and store-brand items to pick from, so you've still got the option to save a penny here or there if desired. Basically, it's the ultimate grocery experience--without all the huffing and puffing to the T, on the T, <insert awkward search for T pass, here> off the T, to the apartment <insert more awkward fumbling around for keys in bottom of purse, here>, up the stairs, keys in door <insert obvious awkwardness> and to the kitchen counter...all the while icicles are growing on your nose hairs! WHEW! I'm exhausted just thinking about it!!

The only bad thing is that they bring everything in plastic bags, and I'm all about saving the planet with one cloth bag at a time...so that was kinda sad. But I'm thinking about Googling fun plastic-bag crafts to recycle them....sooooo don't be surprised by your "creative" Christmas-present wrappings and/or plastic-bag ornament gifts you get from me this year...

say cheese (at the front door!),
katy

PS--I can DEFINITELY see this coming in handed when I'm up to my ears in snow. Am I right, or am I right?

2 comments:

Allison said...

Brilliant! What a good idea and definitely worth it. Glad you were able to Stop&Shop the Peapod way!

Anonymous said...

we have a simillar company here but i have never been able to do it....something about walking down virtual aisles - i just cant do it!! and i like to pick out my own apples......pretty un-techie i know!!..... good for you tho- way to adapt to your environment - darwin would be proud!!! and btw, the really cold stuff is on its way yet!! hee hee....of course, you have the damp factor too in boston that we don't have here ..... but we got 9 inches of the fluffy stuff on friday so its a winter wonderland around here!!!... love you, flo