Sunday, November 14, 2010

i ate san francisco, part 2.

stupid new socks.
Sunday morning--after a rejuvenating night's sleep on the comfiest Serta air mattress I've ever experienced--Susan and I were off to the convention bright and early!!

The first session we attended was about controversial health issues in the modern world. We heard about media coverage of illness-inducing cough medicine in Panama, communication from parents + friends to substance-abusing kids, unintended effects of ads against alcohol that actually encouraged use instead of discouraging, and three presentations on HPV. The last few were so interesting to Susan and me because that's our final paper topic, so (of course) we were quickly scribbling away copious notes to (hopefully) incorporate into our own paper!

soon you will understand that we ate our way 
around the world via SF in only four days.
But as you all remember, my feet are forever and always turning against me...so after that session we had to grab another pair of socks for me so that my stupid shoes wouldn't rub a stupid hole into my stupid heels. Sigh. My new $9 pair of Calvin Klein socks worked like a charm, though, so we were (luckily) in the clear!

We grabbed a quick brunch at a cute restaurant near the conference hotels (whose name is escaping me at the moment). I had the Belgian waffles and Susan had pancakes, and we both totally inhaled our java and chicken + apple sausage. Delicious!! Then we were off to more afternoon NCA sessions!

I attended a session covering communication factors that influence lifestyle change, including behaviors like exercise, healthier eating and smoking cessation. The most interesting of these presentations was about Christians and exercise. The presenter informed us that some 78% of the US calls themselves "Christian" and yet more than 50% of that group is obese (not just overweight). Her study showed that the Christians she interviewed struggled with either thinking they were "selfish" for taking care of themselves if they exercised (and thus spending time focused on themselves and not the Lord) and/or being considered glutenous if they did not exercise. Her discussion suggested that since the Christian church already has established forms of communication, a shared belief system and trusted leaders, that a campaign that encouraged healthy behaviors by framing them as responsible, spiritual and humbling could be successful soon! I found it fascinating and definitely a subject that could influence my future career!

Next, Susan and I met up with my favorite undergrad professor, Dr. Kaye Sweetser, for a quick hello and catch up time! She was at the conference to present the paper I co-authored and others from her undergrad courses. It was wonderful to see her, of course, and even more fabulous to see a fellow Georgian!! It was so easy, it felt like coming home :) ...the only bad thing is that she is now the size of a toothpick--an even smaller toothpick than before--so I am (obviously) obliged to hate her.
HOMEMADE grape soda, 
complete with whole grapes! 
Insanely good.

Susan and I went to one final session, and then to a conference-wide inaugural speech about the state of our (communication) discipline. We were exhausted and starving by this point, so we caught a quick Muni bus (the SF transport name) over to Pizzeria Delfina, a highly-rated pizza joint of the SF-area! Oh. My. Gah. It was sooooo good! Susan killed a broccoli rabe pizza and I topped off the classic Margherita pizza and--this was SANFRANtastic--homemade grape soda! Yum!!

We collapsed into a cab and made our way home after another wonderful day! Seriously loved it. More soon!


say cheese,
katy

PS-- Did I mention that it was about 78* + gorgeous out all day, so we had to drag ourselves through an entire day subjected to that kind of weather?!?! Ugh. The nerve!

No comments: