Sunday, June 19, 2011

no self-respectin' southerner...

I've been threatening to wow my friends with some homemade Southern cuisine for quite a while now, and I reckoned it was about that time to put my fanny in the kitchen and whip up some Southern lovin' for 'em! There was a TON of food, and everyone did their part to ration meals adequately beforehand :) 

Our "No Self-Respectin' Southerner" Sunday Supper menu included:
- Shrimp and grits (fabulous recipe compliments of Chef Haley's chef-mom!)
- Daddy's famous Louisiana gumbo
- Grape salad
- The ever-simple-and-stinky-but-delicious collard greens with vinegar and hot sauce
- Peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream

- Biscuits from a can (which, coincidentally, was the only thing not homemade and the only thing that burned)
- Maw Maw's sweet tea
- Mint juleps

Thanks to Greggory, Laura, Susan, Karan, Matt, Katie, Jocelyn, Rachel and Kristen for gobbling it all up (and being good sports by taking home leftovers that may or may not have been forced upon them). Can't wait to do it again -- and next time, I promise that I won't chicken out and not make the fried chicken :)


"hey y'all!"
katy c. 

No comments: