Wednesday, July 20, 2011

good morning, baltimoooore!!

Mommy and I landed in Baltimore last night and (after losing our hotel room due to maintenance issues, directing the taxi driver to a new one with my phone's GPS in a city I've never been in and being electrocuted by my own hair blow dryer!!) finally got settled in for an awesome week of the Association of Medical Illustrators annual conference!


This year marks Johns Hopkins' scientific art program's 100th anniversary, so we spent the day listening to wonderful Hopkins graduates speaking on what they're working on now and how their degree has influenced their current careers. It was fascinating!! My favorite speaker was David Cheney, who is currently with the wonderful Mayo Clinic, who spoke on how important MI's and their multilingual nature are. It was wonderful to see their side of "health communication" -- listening to a clinician, researcher or patient and translating their understanding of the human body visually. It's (semi)exactly what I'm learning to do! (Except, I'm doing less carbon dusting and water coloring, and more narrating and thesaurus'ing.) It was great!! There were even references to a few theories I've become privy to since coming to Emerson (ahem, the transtheoretical model of health behavior) which I got to explain to my mom, thus proving the necessity of my living above the Mason Dixon Line :)


After a long day of auditorium-sitting -- looking at and hearing about medical art relating to malaria, animation, gaming, and even mollusks! -- Mommy and I put on our walking shoes and explored Baltimore's Inner Harbor a little bit and ended our night by enjoying the one-woman wheelie witty wacky silly suitcase circus!! Take a peek...




If that's not the coolest Barnes & Noble building ever -- a recycled power plant! -- then I'm a monkey's uncle!! 

Mammy and I before the circus, complete with unicycle, knives and the clown groping strangers! For real! 
THE Inner Harbor!!
say cheese, 
katy c. 



No comments: