Sunday, October 24, 2010

"it's like walking through a j. crew catalogue!"

that's a harvard bridge!
Super dooper fun day today in the Land of Katy!

Jocelyn and I met up with some of our class friends (+ some of their own friends) at the Head of the Charles Regatta! For those who don't know, it's the largest rowing competition in the world and it was right in my backyard: Cambridge. It was a beyond beautiful fall day--crisp air, light breeze, great sun and wonderfully colorful foliage! Perfect day for watchin' rowin'!

We got there around noon and began our trek down the line of white tents where vendors were giving out a hoopla of free loot! We ate kernel corn, pasta, breakfast bars, ice cream, potato chips and V8 juice....all for free! I also came home with a packet of coffee and a USB drive...fo' free! LOVE IT!!

head of the charles 2010--a whole bunch of awesome!
Rowing (aka crew) is a gentlemen's sport, I've been told. And for the most part, that's true. Generally speaking, the boats pass by where you're standing on land, they heave and hoe, the patrons cheer and then they're gone....until the next lot have arrived. However, Jocelyn and I were able to witness a bit of what is apparently a rarity: two boats crashed into each other! There are petite (usually female) individuals, called coxswain, facing the direction the boat is being rowed who are supposed to direct traffic (because the boys have their backs to all the action). Well these coxswain got their messages mixed because the two boats totally rammed into each other! They were going so fast, it made a big THWAP! sound that you could hear across the river! Then the "gentlemen" began hitting each other with their oars and splashing each other with water. Classssssy folks.

jackie, liz, jocelyn, me + joanna!
After we met up with a few more friends, we went to Mr. Bartley's Gourmet Burgers. And literally: holy cow. It was tasty!! This place is so delish that it's been featured on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives....so obviously we waited in the super long line in the chilly wind to get us a samplin'! And boy was it worth it. Among the seven of us, we ordered three veggie + one regular Tom Brady's, a Lady Gaga, an I-Phone and a Jersey Shore with an assortment of sweet potato fries, onion rings and french fries to boot. YUMMMM.

We ventured around Cambridge for a while afterward and we ran into the Georgia Tech crew!! I kinda freaked out (because I was hoping to see them but doubting I would), and they were all looking at me like I was a raving lunatic when I exclaimed, "I'm from Georgia!" and in unison they all answered "Ohhhhh." Basically, we're all best friends now. They were so nice to take a pic with me for all of my GT family fanatics--so Poppa, this one's just for you!

that's guy fieri's graffitied face at mr. bartley's!
georgia!!

All-in-all, a lovely day to call myself a
Bostonian. Everyday I'm so grateful that I get to experience such a wonderful, culture-filled, new-surprises-daily town!! Come visit me--I'm happy to show it off :)

say cheese (and I had boursin on my burger),
katy

2 comments:

carol capers said...

Hopefully...walking thru a J Crew catalogue is ALOT cheaper than purchasing from a J Crew catalogue. Looked like a fun day...hasn't this Fall been awesome?! For once we 9 to 5 worker bees have enjoyed some gorgeous weekends too down here in the South. Amazing weather...but cant say I have ever watched a regatta...except for on TV. Glad you got to partake. Question. What did they do the the coxwomen who apparently fluncked at navigation?

Allison said...

I feel like I get away to Boston every time I read your blog!