Saturday, September 25, 2010

afternoon delight.

A beautiful sunny, windy and warm day today in Boston it was!

After trying to wait out the hottest part of the day, I took a little stroll down Commonwealth Avenue from my house to my school. I've only really seen half of the trip there because once the T train moves from street-level to underground, all I get to see is dark scary tunnel. So I wanted to acquaint myself with what was above ground (because before I just magically arrived at my desired destination, duh). I armed myself with tennis shoes and Pandora...and set out for the East!

comm ave = super famous, super long + super pretty!
The 3.7-mile walk into town was definitely more interesting than what I normally get to see from the speeding T.

I learned that there is a park + pond very near my house behind Boston Univ with a super neat statue and good "reading grass"...
I learned that the BU fall sorority/fraternity rush festival is not quite as popular up here as down South (there were only like ten tables total with very few eager beavers looking to join)...
I learned that I would like to one day make enough money to live in the 200-400 block of CommAve because it is gorgeous and super fancy...
It was reaffirmed that I do have long legs because all the silly touristy people kept getting in my way as I tried to keep up my brisk-but-not-fast walk...
I learned that CommAve (as you'll notice in the pic) is not straight, so it takes a couple random turns that require you to pay attention to signage at all times or risk getting lost...
It was reaffirmed that Boston is a spectacularly beautiful city with great sidewalks, blue skies and tree-to-building ratio...
my on-foot route!
And I learned that squirrels up here are way too comfortable with humans (I watched one literally eat food out of a man's hand like a dog or something--that's unnatural!) They're squirrels--they're supposed to squirm away!

I think it took about an hour + fifteen minutes walking and I rewarded myself at the end with a Starbucks tea and banana. I took the T back home (because it was starting to get dark) and felt much more comfortable about what I was traveling underneath. I feel a weekly tradition coming on...that is, until the snow...

say cheese,
katy

No comments: