Wednesday, September 15, 2010

what's in a name?

only part of the collection...
When I was younger, I thought my real name was "Katy Catherine Marian Capers C." because there were multiple Katie's in my kindergarten class (I was obviously Katy C., my dad's nickname of choice). Thus, that's how I'd always introduce myself. These days, though, a verbal introduction seems unnecessary...redundant, even.

My initials are on everything. Drinking cups...wallets...cosmetic bags...pillow cases...laptop bags...picture frames...jewelry cases...hair-bow holders...towels...blankets...jewelry...key chains. You name it, my name is on it. [But in my defense, every item, except one, was a gift!!]

Apparently, personalizing any and all household items with a monogram is distinctly a Southern tradition. Jocelyn, my super cute West-coast roomie, thinks it's fun and all...but says it hasn't actually caught on in her neck of the woods. She always points out how many of these seemingly vain objects I have...and I gotta tell ya: if I didn't know me, I'd think I was either a) super obsessed with myself, b) forgetful of my name and/or c) a four-year-old...of course, none are true :)

Noticing this particular contrast in our regional cultures has made me see other fun differences of note:
- I say L-E-G as "legg," she says "layg"
- I love sweet tea, she doesn't even know how to make it
- I'm a Chick-fil-a-oholic, she's never had it (God bless her poor little soul!!)
- I say "y'all," she says "huh?!"
- I heart the football, her not so much
- I love some honky tonk, and she's more of a Lady Gaga/Christina Aguilera gal
- She eats "weenie + egg"...and I don't

I'm eager to discover more!!...differences, that is :) **

say cheese,
katy catherine marian capers c.

**Disclaimer: If you have given/will give/want to give me a "monogrammed doohickey" please do not think that I am ungrateful! I use these items to their fullest extents :)  I absolutely love every single one, initials and all!

4 comments:

Jocelyn S said...

LOVE this post! First of all, you said I was "super cute." Second of all, I love having your name all over our apartment. Third of all, you represented the Gaga and Tina....what WHAT! And lastly, Winnie and Egg is awesome! I wish you weren't allergic to eggs/didn't hate hot dogs!

Side note: I may not know how to make sweet tea, but I sure love it! Can't wait to visit Georgia and to be able to drink it at every meal!

PS. Hi Katy's family!!! I mean...hey y'all!

Anonymous said...

Katy C. Has she ever heard of a doo rag? Can even be monogramed, altho not many do. Men wear them also, 'specially football players.

Can you buy bottled sweet tea up there like we can down here. Goes well with B.baked beans also.

Love you like my yellow jackets. Poppa

Anonymous said...

hey katy..... was definitely lol when i read this today as i just had lunch with sally shearer horstman (queenie that lives in the frozen tundra with me) and we just had a discussion about the preppy monogramed stuff that southerners carry that we just don't see up here...... and, can you believe that we don't have chick-fil-a up here so we have to go there straight from the airport when we land in atlanta...... and my kids LOVE sweet tea and love the $1 sweet tea from mcdonalds........ having lived in 3 different time zones, i get the appeal of learning all the cultural differences.....keep soaking it all up......love you so much more than any icky meatloaf, flo

Katy Capers said...

haha! i'm almost willing to say that i'd sacrifice all things monogrammed if i could get a cfa sandwich right now + big sweet tea :) ....almost!