Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"dear friend, i like to start my notes to you as if we're already in the middle of a conversation..."

my walk even featured its own 
stairs-that-lead-to-nowhere. glamorous?! oh yea.
I am glamorous!! Today I felt just like Meg Ryan in "You've Got Mail" (seriously my favorite movie of ALL TIME...I hate when people know every line in films, but I could be this movie's one-man show).

The weather was kinda dreary today but it was a wonderful 60* outside...so I grabbed my rain coat and John Mayer mix and headed out to explore! When I leave my apartment complex, nine times out of 10 I turn left because that just seems to be the direction of everything I need. But today I turned right! No, no...I'm not to the glamorous part yet...

Walking down that part of Harvard Ave is just so picturesque! I've been down to Coolidge Corner a few times, but never during the day and never at a leisurely pace. The route there has all the necessities to make the perfect big-movie set: low-hanging trees, old traffic light posts, giggling children at a playground, multi-colored pansies lining the sidewalks, big decorative awnings at every store front. For lack of a better word, it is just so darn cute!

There's a large Jewish community in this neighborhood, so there are tons of kosher restaurants, specialty stores and a beautiful (huge) synagogue. They offer swing/salsa/tap classes there during the week and I'm thinking of signing up! There are also a lot of locally-owned fish, meat and flower markets...and some great vintage shops that I'm sure will be handy around Halloween :) Of course, I loved experiencing the new...but I also tried on the old (aka The Gap, TJ Maxx and Walgreens) for good measure. I walked so far that my quick study break turned into an hour-and-a-half ordeal. But it was refreshing!!

So where's the glamor?! Well, Jocelyn was studying at Starbucks so I popped in to say hello. Those of you who've seen "You've Got Mail" will remember the great scene when Tom Hanks begins to repair and build his friendship with Meg Ryan whose business he (unfortunately) put under. Soooo Joc was sitting in her chair in Starbucks, reading a book (just like Meg reading "Pride and Prejudice") as I was walking by outside. We both looked up at the same moment and waved at each other through the glass! OMG it was straight out of the movie!! And that, my friend, is the glamor...aren't ya glad I told ya?!

What a blessed day...loved it!

say cheese,
katy

PS -- Sorry there's no pic of the awesome Harvard Ave...the cloud/tree cover made all my pics turn out super dark. Guess I'll just have to walk up there again!

1 comment:

Carol Capers said...

Love. Love. I can hear your voice in this blog post. You crack me up...funny...I know where those stairs are. Seen them before right? Well...if you are going to start taking tap lessons again...I suggest you find good shoes. Better not mess those feet up that have to get you everywhere! But this time..its okay to practice tap on your Boston hard wood floors instead of mine...that is...if no one lives underneath you. Enjoy. Be sweet, C