Thursday, September 9, 2010

the T.



the video above is the cute folk song i'm referring to below -- hilarious!!

The mass transportation system in Massachusetts is called "The T." I'm not entirely sure what it stands for (outside of the obvious "transportation"), but Weiser and I like to think it's for the Boston Tea Party! How cute and clever, Mass!! You can buy Charlie Cards (so named for an old folk song character who was stuck on the T because he couldn't pay the fee) that will give you entrance on any bus, subway or train that goes out of the city. While pretty much all of the necessities I need are within a block or two from my place, my apartment is only about a two-minute walk to a Green Line T stop that I've been using a ton to go into Boston, to Target, yada yada yada.

All this to be said, I've discovered something: I stink at standing in the T!


the Ansin Building,
where I'll have Health Comm
every Wed night!
I can run in high heels! I can walk on hand-made three-foot stilts! I can manage to hold a 50-pound book bag on the UGA busses (that, with the exception of the law-abiding Hammy, were always racing around turns/over pedestrians/through red lights)! But I cannot, for the life of me, seem to find my center on the T system. Unfortunately, Jocelyn and I have had a few too many laughs due to my wicked clumsiness. Though, out of the handful of people that I've taken out with my purse, elbow, fist or otherwise, no one has seemed especially angry that I've just accosted them...thank goodness. One lady tonight didn't even look up from the book she was reading when I completely tumbled on top of her!

The T will definitely come in handy over the next few years--the Green Line dumps right at the front door of my school--but I need to get in some more practice for fear of someone suing. Classes started today so from here on out I'm guaranteed at least four trips a week...wish me (and my co-riders) good luck!!

say cheese,
katy

PS -- I kinda forgot my camera today, so all rights to the pic above belong to Ms. Jocelyn Sterling!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katy!!! You are amazing! I am loving reading this every day and hearing about your various adventures in Boston!!!! AHhhh I love your room and all your stories because they are so you! I can hear you telling me each of these. I love you and miss you and hope that classes are fantastic today! I can't wait to hear about those! Sooo exciting! Looking forward to hearing your voice soon. Love you so!
Hillary

Anonymous said...

Katy, I cried when I read all this. Allison sent me the website. You are amazing! I love all the stuff you included. The Kingston Trio is dating me but how well I remember watching them on our small black and white TV. Did they ever finish "The Big Dig" which was in progress when we were there? Please hug the mama and her ducklings when you see them on the Common. I love that book but Lauren and Sarah never liked it because it was in black and white! How weird! Your apartment looks great. We are so proud of all you have done so keep up the good work. Hugs. Love, Bobbie